The owners of this period Mosman home are passionate about the environment and wanted to incorporate as many ‘green’ features in their renovation as possible.
- a large entertaining deck, using sustainably sourced timbers
- an observatory style double glazed roof, to enable light penetration
- custom made, and designed, steel stairs and balustrades
- new bathroom with grey-water plumbing
- double glazed windows and doors
- an enviable vegetable garden with pods made from recycled hardwood railway sleepers.
‘In 2008 we engaged Luke Constructions on a project to rebuild the rear of our Federation house which was then in bad repair.
The project involved a conservatory-style eat-in kitchen, living room, bathroom and large deck. The brief was essentially to follow the existing design, but Richard worked with us to incorporate numerous improvements such as double glazing, privacy screening, a water tank under the deck and an outdoor bath.
We were concerned to improve the environmental sustainability of our home and Richard gave invaluable guidance in this regard. He is very patient, flexible and sensitive to client preferences, and accommodated the best of our ideas while making many excellent suggestions himself. He combines a builder’s practical and technical knowledge with something of a designer’s sensibility. Even after project completion, we have drawn on Richard’s advice and assistance.
Richard takes pride in the quality of his work and any minor problems have been promptly attended to. He and his team are a pleasure to have around the house – reliable, considerate and absolutely trustworthy. Best of all, the project has made our home a delight to live in.’